Overcoming Barriers to Settlement—with Nina Meierding MS, JD
Date(s) - Jun 17, 2013
8:30 AM - 5:30 PM
University of Washington School of Law, William H. Gates Hall
15th Avenue NE and NE 43rd Street
Seattle, WA 98195
Strategies from Psychology, Communication, Negotiation and Neuroscience
Join us at the University of Washington School of Law for this advanced, one-day training with nationally recognized leader in the field of conflict resolution—Nina Meierding! Deepen your understanding and elevate your skills in exploring the causes of resistance. Focus on proactive and responsive techniques that deal with specific barriers to settlement.
What you will learn:
- How people create psychological obstacles in decision-making through status quo bias, confirmation bias, cognitive dissonance, reactive devaluation, sunk cost mentality, endowment effect and optimistic overconfidence
- How negotiation techniques such as Boulewarism, red herrings, unbalanced pacing, non-strategic concessions and poorly designed opening offers can create impasse
- How using questions strategically can change tempo, impact power dynamics, build rapport and prevent resistance
- How proactive techniques used early in negotiations can set the stage and eliminate certain types of barricades to moving forward
- How anchoring, reframing, incubation, reality testing, timing and customized unilateral concessions can assist practitioners in being more effective
- How an innovative new model of brainstorming based on recent research has changed how we work creatively
Nina Meierding MS, JD, is a national leader in the field of conflict resolution and has been providing training and mediation services for over twenty-eight years. Nina has served on the Board of Directors of the Association of Conflict Resolution, the Council for Distinguished Advisors at Pepperdine University, the Advisory board at Southern Methodist University and the Board of Southern California Mediation Association among others. Learn more about Nina’s work.
If you prefer to register by mail with a check or money order, download the PDF Registration Form. For on-line registration by PayPal or credit card, fill out the form below.
7.5 CLEs for attorneys – $15.00
7.5 CEUs for mental health professionals (Licensed social workers, marriage and family therapists and mental health counselors.) – $15.00
Registrations are closed for this event.